Sunday, June 26, 2022

Review: Our Crooked Hearts by Melissa Albert

Our Crooked Hearts Our Crooked Hearts by Melissa Albert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an audio arc of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

I loved this book!  I'll be 100% honest, I did not care for The Hazel Wood, and it honestly only just occured to me that the same author wrote both books.   This is a tad dark, but still fits in the YA bucket.  

I'm normally not a fan of alternating timelines, but this is an example of how to do it right.  This follows Ivy and her mother Dana through some mysterious events.  Ivy's POV is told in the present day while Dana's POV is told in the past.  Eventually the POVs meet up in the present as secrets and lies are uncovered and  Ivy learns about things that Dana and her beloved Aunt Fe were part when they were teens.  

I thought the magic was well explained as the girls (Fe and Dana) learn to use their natural gifts as well as those they develop with their friend Marion.  I thought the character development was great and the world building was well done.  Albert did a great job with the creep factor when it was needed and definitely gave this book a little bit of a horror vibe.  

This book has all of the things I'm looking for, it has a little bit of a mystery element, the pacing was good, the narrators were great, I enjoyed all of the characters, the plot was creative and engaging.  I didn't want to stop listening to this!  If you are looking for a quick read this summer I highly recommend this!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment