Monday, July 4, 2022

Review: The Return by Rachel Harrison

The Return The Return by Rachel Harrison
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book via Edelweiss, however I ended up listening to the final production version of the audiobook.  As always, all opinions are my own.

I've had the arc of this book on my shelf for quite some time, so when the audiobook came through via my library I knew I had to get to it.  This came out in 2020, and was nominated for several awards in the horror genre.  I thought the narrator did a great job with the audiobook, but unfortunately this was just OK for me.  It lacked the suspense and action I prefer in a horror novel.  The concept was interesting, but the paranormal elements were lacking and underdeveloped in my opinion.  There was too much focus on Elise and her issues and the lead up to the confrontation with Julie about what happened to her while she was missing.  Once the reveal occurred the ending felt rushed.

Overall, this is not my type of horror novel.  It was OK, but I never got the creep or suspense factor I'm looking for in a horror book.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment