Saturday, May 29, 2021

Review: Legacy by Nora Roberts

Legacy Legacy by Nora Roberts
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.  

This book was fine, it was way too long in my opinion.  It was marketed as a thriller and romantic suspense, but the thriller element is barely present and I didn't feel that it was suspenseful at all.  This is a family saga about a woman who has built herself up from her own ambition, despite sitiation.  Her mother, who is also ambitious, let her career come first and her daughter come when she had a free moment between filming yoga videos and doing appearances.  Adrian built her own fitness empire and family based on her desires and needs.  When she starts receiving death threats, her mother passes them off as part of the business and tells her to move on.  This is basically what the book does with the thriller aspect of the book.  The book focuses on Adrian, her work as a fitness expert, her relationships with her Grandparents, her friends, her dog, and her life in the small town of Traveler's creek.  This book is over 400 pages and the thriller aspect takes less than 25% of it.  For me it got a bit repetitive with the workouts, filming videos, entertaining of friends, and waiting for the bad guy to make his move.

The writing was good.  I like Nora Roberts as an author, but this was not the page turner I was expecting.  The romance was slow burn, and when the couple finally gets together it wasn't in my opinion very exciting.  The chemistry between them was kind of lack luster.  I felt the same about the reveal for the suspense aspect.  I had that part figured out very early on, so when it finally came there was no heart pounding suspense for me.  It was very much "it is about time" because it took so long to get to the action.  I feel had this book been significantly shorter I might have felt differently.  

Overall I felt this book was a bit on the boring side.  The pace was very slow and the characters were flat.  They never really developed beyond who they were.   I kept waiting for the action to pick up but it didn't.  The family and friends scenes were very repetitive.   If you enjoy family saga's  you may really enjoy this book.  The thriller aspect is fairly tame, there is not a ton of gory violence and there is so little of it in the book if you aren't a fan it won't turn you away from the main story.  Unfortunately, this one wasn't for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment