Friday, May 17, 2019

Review: Nyxia Uprising by Scott Reintgen

Nyxia Uprising Nyxia Uprising by Scott Reintgen
Narrated by : Sullivan Jones (Narrator), Kyla Garcia (Narrator), Alex Romashov (Narrator), Keong Sim (Narrator)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I feel like this was the perfect ending to the series.  I'm sad to see it end, but I'm so satisfied with the ending.  I wasn't sure what to expect because in Reintgen's own "review" he said "You are not ready" and he pointed out that your favorites aren't safe and people die.  It isn't often that authors really go there, but he did and it was really well done.  This series needs so much more recognition in the YA Sci-fi community.

The audiobook cast was A+! I wasn't sure how I'd feel about finishing up the series on audio since I previously read ARCs of the series, but the cast was perfect!  They did an amazing job bringing the story to life and their personification of the Imago and the Genesis crew was spot on!  I'm going to check out other things they've narrated because all four of them were very talented.

This follows Emmett and Morning and the rest of the Genesis crew as they try to escape Babel and the impending end of the world. Babel didn't plan on the moon's colliding when they came to take over the Imago's planet to mine Nyxia. The Genesis team has made a pact with the Imago to fight against Babel and return to Earth to expose Babel. The story is told from several perspectives, Emmet and Morning which I expected, but we also get Longwei's perspective, and Anton's perspective as they have both left the crew and infiltrated Babel's domain in different ways. This basically picks up right where the last book leaves off. The crew and the Imago are recovering from Babel's last attack, Anton and Longwei have taken their respective places within the Babel network in an attempt to help their friends get home safely. As Emmett and Morning lead the crew on the ground toward the ships that will take them off planet, things do not go smoothly and they decide to split up. As is typical nothing goes to plan and the group finds themselves not only fighting for their lives against Babel but fighting the clock as the moons collide and the world ends. Meanwhile Defoe isn't giving up so easily and he is determined to win at any cost.

The world building, creativity of all of the creatures that Reintgen creates on the planet, the character development are all fantastic. I also appreciated that the author wasn't afraid to put the characters in danger. You weren't sure if your darlings were going to come out alright until the end. There were some plot points that kind of wrapped up a bit too quickly or could have been explored or explained in a bit more detail. Overall, I really don't have much to criticize. I just really liked the whole series.

This is a great YA sci-fi series and I highly recommend it. It has action, it is a bit on the violent side, great friendships, good humor, and it just overall a good story. I look forward to reading more of Scott Reintgen’s work in the future.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment