Monday, May 14, 2018

Review: The Slow Regard of Silent Things

The Slow Regard of Silent Things The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a delightful, pecular story about a strange character named Auri. We meet Auri in The Name of the Wind, and I found her fascinating. I loved getting to know her a little better. While we don't really get may details as to why she is doing what she is doing in The Underthing or how she came to be there, we get to see her interacting there and just doing her thing. Though I would love to get more of her origin story at some point, she is a truly unique character and I'd love to know more about her. It is an odd tale, but I found it to be beautifully written and I loved the narration by the author himself. It was very poetic.

This story is not plot based whatsoever. Honestly I don't even think there is a plot, it is purely character driven and we just follow Auri around as she goes about her business in her particular way. Each day has a purpose and each item she finds has a place. Sometimes she is driven by something that is going to happen or a thing she needs to put somewhere. Mostly she is just driven by her unique personality and drive to just be herself and do what she does to survive and keep herself occupied.

I really enjoyed that Patrick Rothfuss himself narrated the audio.  It really lent something to the listening experience.  I enjoy his writing style.

I will say that if you prefer plot based works with character development and world building, this might not be for you.  This is more poetic and nonsensical.  I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment