Monday, April 23, 2018

Review: Frost Like Night by Sara Raasch

Frost Like Night Frost Like Night by Sara Raasch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This post is long overdue.  I read this book a while ago, but the post never went up.  Not sure why I never posted it.  I really enjoyed this series, and it is one that I would definitely read again.

This was an excellent conclusion to the series.

I'm not a fan of multiple personalities telling a story, that's more of a personal preference than a dig on any author that does it to tell a story. In Raash's case it was necessary to wrap up the many storylines she had outstanding, and I think she did a pretty good job wrapping up any loose ends by using the 3 characters to tell the story and keep things moving along. The pacing was well done and the story closed nicely.  This is one example of multiple perspectives done right.  I didn't find it confusing or overwhelming.  I always knew who was speaking and which plot line we were following.

I loved that I couldn't figure out how it was going to end until it ended. I usually figure out how a book or series is going to end early on. I had no idea what was going to happen until the end, and I loved that. Miera discovers she needs to destroy magic but you have no idea if she's going to go through with it or how she's going to do it.  I loved watching it unravel.

I loved the addition of Rares and Oana from Paisley. They are from the Order of the Lustrate and if you've read the previous book, Miera was looking for the Order.  Rares finds Miera and takes her away to help her learn to control her magic. Miera accepts her fate and deals with it.  She's always been strong, but we see her and the other characters really grow into the roles they must play.  While the Winter Queen is off learning about magic, Mather and Ceridwen are fighting new and old enemies. Angra's dark magic has infected much of the land, and those willing to fight are rallying against him in the hopes the Miera can figure out a way to stop him in time.  To say more would spoil the book.  Overall, I'm really happy with the series and I really enjoyed it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment