Sunday, March 25, 2018

Review: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Strange the Dreamer Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a surprise favorite for me. I had heard good things, but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.  I borrowed the audio from the library on a whim and absolutely loved it.  I'll be purchasing a copy soon so I can reread this.  The story itself was a beautiful fantasy and Steve West as usual did an amazing job bringing the audio book to life. I couldn't stop listening to it and I am patiently waiting for the next installment. This is what books are supposed to be like, this book transports you to the world and you feel like you are there with Lazlo and Sarai (you have to read the book to find out who she is). I hesitate to tell you too much because you just have to experience it for yourself. Just know that this book is well written, the world building is excellent, and the characters are well developed. I don't have one negative thing to say about it, I want to read it again as I write this.

The story follows Lazlo Strange, an orphan who by chance or by accident finds himself lost in the library one day and ends up staying. He has a thirst for knowledge and a talent for dreaming, which is how he has earned his name Strange the Dreamer. Lazlo is a bit obsessed with the lost city called "Weep". Lazlo is sure he once knew Weep's true name, and he clearly remembers the moment he forgot the city's name, but he can't remember it. He's devoted his life to studying the strange city, and he longs to go there one day and actually see the magical place in his books.

Lazlo finds himself on a great adventure surrounding the mysteries of Weep as he has become the foremost expert of the place. There is saction, adventure, mythology, and there's a good romance. The romance is so well written that you are actually invested in what happens to the characters. I care about these characters, I even care about the side characters because they are so well done.

I highly recommend this book, though I do recommend it for more mature YA readers as there is more mature content mentioned. Then again anytime there is mythology involving gods and their involvement with humans you'll have that type of content, if you get my drift. It isn't terribly graphic so most YA readers will be fine in my opinion. 


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment