Saturday, August 24, 2024

Review: Haunted Ever After by Jen DeLuca

Haunted Ever After Haunted Ever After by Jen DeLuca
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley and the Berkley Besties program, all opinions are my own.

This was adorable and if I could visit Boneyard Key as a tourist I would!  I love Halloween and all things spooky, so this sounds like my kind of town.

This follows Cassie, an Orlando native, who recently moved to the small town of Boneyard Key, where tourists flock to visit for the towns local haunts pun intended.  Nick runs the local coffee shop, and he happens to have a very special roommate, Elmer is the original owner of Hallowed Grounds and loves to tell Nick what to do.  Cassie and Nick don't get off to the best start, but her frequent trips to the coffee shop quickly turn things around as they get to know each other.  Her laptop won't charge and it is a critical part of her work from home job, especially now that she has a mortgage.  Everything checks out with her electricity, and her laptop charges fine at the coffee shop or when someone else plugs it in at home, so she turns to the paranormal experts in the Key to see if there is something else wrong in her house.  Turns out Cassie has an unexpected roommate too.  Her house is famous around Boneyard Key, but it turns out the stories aren't exactly true, Cassie is determined to find out the truth about the Hawkins House and learn more about her spectral roomie.

This was such a fun book as we learn about the history of the town and Cassie and Nick get to know each other.  I really like the way the author had both of them communicate with their ghosts, it was really creative and something I don't think I've seen before.  Nick and Cassie take their time getting to know one another, and it seems like every time they take a step forward in their relationship something gets in the way and sends them two steps backward.  I actually appreciated this, because while you knew there was going to be a romantic element between them it didn't take center stage and they actually got to know each other a bit first and got to have some serious conversations before making big declarations.  I love a slow burn romance when done well and I really enjoyed this one!  This is low on the spice scale.

I don't believe I've read anything else by the author in the past, but I am certainly in if there are more books in the series and I'll be checking out more books.  Overall I loved this small town romance with a paranormal twist.  It was really unique and I really enjoyed the creativity the author brought to the table with the plot and the characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment