Saturday, July 13, 2024

Review: House of Marionne by J. Elle

House of Marionne House of Marionne by J. Elle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, however this book was published in August of 2023 so I opted to borrow the audiobook from my library.  I was immediately pulled in by the stunning cover, which you will understand the significance of as you read the book.  The second book is due out in September, so you won't have to wait much longer if you pick up book one now.  This read a little young for my tastes, however it is a solid YA offering.  There isn't anything graphic, and the romance is kept to a few kisses.  Teenage me would have devoured this.  I think having two teenagers of my own has jaded me and I want to mother all the silly teenage characters now and find myself rolling my eyes when teen do teenage stuff.   Overall this was a fun read and I am curious to find out what happens in the next book,

The magic system is well explained and unique.  I am anxious to learn more about the magic and how our main character Quell learns more about the world and her magic as the series moves forward.  There are still quite a few unanswered questions at the end, and Quell isn't sure who she can trust.   This follows Quell as she and her mom run from place to place to keep her dark magic a secret.  Her grandmother is headmistress of a magical school, but her mother ran away years ago and we don't know why.  Quell has grown up with no understanding of the magical world, but when her life is in danger and her mother can no longer protect her, Quell seeks refuge from her Grandmom.  She enrolls in the school in an attempt to keep her dark magic under control and hopefully gain control of her "proper" magic.  There she finally gains the semblance of a regular life and starts making friends.  She is also trailed by her mentor and romantic interest Jordan, who might also kill her if he finds out she has dark magic.  As she progresses through her lessons she finds out that the magical community is rife with secrets and betrayals.  Quell has to decide if she wants to forge her own path or take the one that has been decided for her.

If you like a dark academia setting with magic and romance but on the cleaner side this is a good option.  It is geared toward younger readers at it is set in a more high school type setting with teenaged characters, but I think anyone would enjoy it if you like those tropes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment