Saturday, June 15, 2024

Review: Looking for Smoke by K. A. Cobell

Looking for Smoke Looking for Smoke by K.A. Cobell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.  I did however end up listening to the final publication version of the audiobook.  I highly recommend the audiobook, as it is narrated by a full cast, which really helps bring the story together.

This follows four teenagers in the wake of one of their own being murdered.  As the murder investigation proceeds, it looks like it may be connected to another murder victim.  All four teens band together to try to figure out what is going on and how Rayanne and Samantha's murders are connected.  As we get to know the characters it is clear that everyone is hiding something, while they may not be the murderer they each have a secret that could ruin them.  During the course of the investigation, everyone is a suspect and you aren't really sure who to point the finger at until the very end.  The way the story was told was engaging and kept me on my toes wanting to know what was going to happen next.

This book while fictional shines a light on very real issues within the Native American community.  There is very real issue with Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, drugs, violence, and a broken justice system.  I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.  It is perfect for teen readers as there isn't anything overly graphic in the book, but I think readers of all ages will enjoy it.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment