Sunday, July 16, 2023

Review: I Will Make You Pay by Teresa Driscoll

I Will Make You Pay I Will Make You Pay by Teresa Driscoll
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, but I have since purchased both the ebook and audiobook versions.   I opted to listen to the audiobook, as always all opinions are my own. 

This book has been on my TBR for ages, and I'm glad I finally got around to it.  I needed a good phycological thriller that I didn't have figured out by the end of the 2nd chapter and didn't have insufferable characters.  The author does a good job giving you the run around and misdirecting you as to who the stalker might be throughout.  You kind of suspect everyone at one point or another, but no one seems like a likely candidate.  I appreciated that I didn't really know who it was until the reveal.  I also appreciated that the author was able to put her real life experience as a journalist into play in the storyline.

This is an older title so I won't go too much into detail as the synopsis give you a good summary of what the story is about with out too many spoilers.  Alice is a journalist, and it quickly becomes apparent that she has a stalker when every Wednesday something odd, creepy or terrible happens.  The stalker escalates each week, but the police and the private investigator that Alice and her partner hire can't find the stalker or any motive as to why she is being targeted.  Alice is forced to take time off from work but she is itching to get back out there and write the pieces she is passionate about.  Alice is determined to uncover the link between her and the person tormenting her.

I really enjoyed this thriller.  Alice was stubborn at times and didn't always make the best choices, but after thinking about it I have to imagine that anyone under those conditions in real life might not make the best choices given the circumstances.  I thought the author did a good job portraying the frustrating truth about law enforcement when it comes to stalkers.  There isn't much they can do until a crime is committed and they have an actual suspect, which is very frustrating and terrifying for the victim.  I also liked that we got perspectives from Alice, Matt (the PI), and "Him" (the stalker).  We really get to understand each of them and their motivations throughout.  You often don't get the perspective of the villain, but we got to see "his" side and you almost sympathize with him a bit.  I thought that was a creative touch.

Overall, this was a quick read with good pacing and decent action.  


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment