Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Review: Worth the Wait by Karla Sorensen

Worth the Wait Worth the Wait by Karla Sorensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC via the author and Smartypants Romance, all opinions are my own.

While this is listed as the 4th book in the Love at First Sight series, you can read it as a standalone. Each of the books in the series follows a different member of the Buchanan family as they navigate love and the family "curse" of falling in love with their soul mate the first time they meet. This particular story follows Hunter, who has been mentioned in the previous installments, and fans of the series have been long awaiting his story. If you are just starting with this book, I highly recommend reading the previous books, but you don't need to read them to get to know Hunter and Iris.

Hunter and Iris fell hard for each other in high school, but Iris' rough home situation caused her to push him away. Now after years of being apart and growing into capable adults, Hunter and Iris find themselves back in Green Valley at the same time and reunited by Iris' younger brother and ward Theo. Hunter never stopped loving Iris, but he's trying to respect her wishes to be friends and not push her boundaries. He knows that his big feelings for her scare her and she didn't grow up in a kind, loving, accepting family environment until moving in with her Grandmother. Iris still has feelings for Hunter, but she is 100% committed to taking care of her brother. That means getting her business off the ground and protecting him from their mess of a mother.

I loved Hunter and Iris together. Iris slowly comes out of her shell and into her own as she lets Hunter back into her life. I love how fiercely protective of her brother she is. I feel like the author did a great job describing Iris as a person who suffered at the hand of a manipulative and abusive parent, and still shoulders the burden of that. It is easy to criticize Iris and say she needed to let people in and help carry the weight of her burdens. That is part of her journey and I think it was portrayed very well. I felt like there was the right amount of slow burn and angst to this story.

I really enjoyed the side characters. Theo and Maxine were great additions to add some comic relief. I also enjoyed getting to see the characters from the previous books to let readers know what they are up to.

If you are looking for a bit of an angsty second chance romance, I highly recommend this one!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment