Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Review: Neanderthal Seeks Duchess by Laney Hatcher

Neanderthal Seeks Duchess Neanderthal Seeks Duchess by Laney Hatcher
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book, all opinions are my own.

This is the first reimagining and the first historical romance we've seen from the Smartypants collection. All of the other books are set in the Pennyverse, but this one is a retelling inspired by the Knitting in the City series set in London. If you haven't read Knitting in the City have no fear this reads as a standalone. It does share similarities with the original work Neanderthal Seeks Human as all retellings do, but this offers a unique take on the story and characters.

I very much enjoyed this imagining. I thought the author did a good job taking the original story and characters and moving them to regency London. She did a good job staying true to the original premise and characters while putting her own spin on things. I adored the original and it was so fun to relive Jane and Q's romance all over again through this different lens. My guess is she is going to continue on with the rest of the ladies in a similar fashion and I can't wait to see what she does with the rest of the embroidery circle!

I will say there were times where the author broke from the very proper language of the time and used common day language. Jane would be speaking or thinking in a very proper way then she would say/think "That was weird". While it fit the original Janie, it felt out of place in this book. Then again I'm not a big reader of regency romance, so that might be completely normal. Overall, I thought this was a really fun concept and I can't wait to see what the author has in store for the rest of the ladies of the "ton".

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment