Sunday, May 8, 2022

Review: Checking You Out by Ann Whynot

Checking You Out Checking You Out by Ann Whynot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via the author, all opinions are my own.

While this is part of the Green Valley Library series, you can read it as a standalone.  I do recommend reading [book:Dewey Belong Together|56037396] to get Max and Jonathan's backstory, but it isn't necessary.

This follow's Norman and Lois, who knew each other as teenagers from afar.  Norman is Jonathan's best friend and business partner, while Lois is Max's best friend and through circumstances has come to live in Green Valley with her.  Lots of things have happened to Norman and Lois in the 10 years they have been apart when they knew each other as Peily and Deathdrop in the video games they played online.  Life has taught them both many lessons the hard way, but circumstances have brought them together again and given them a second chance at love.

This is a fairly clean romance.  The intimate scenes are behind closed doors with mentions of sex between the characters, but nothing occurs in much detail on the page.  Sometimes you need that in a romance.  I appreciate that Smartypants Romance puts a varied level of romances from not so steamy to super steamy, so there is something for everyone.

I really enjoyed Norman and Lois.  I also really enjoyed that Norman was a disabled veteran.  As a veteran myself, you don't see many vets represented in books, especially ones with chronic conditions.  Sometimes disabilities are manageable while other days they are not.  You don't have to be a veteran to suffer from chronic pain or a disability, and I appreciated that the author has tackled some tougher topics in her books when it comes to disabilities and mental health.  I also really enjoyed Lois's storyline as a single mom, who guards herself and her daughter above all else but will also help anyone who needs her.  I really enjoyed the development of their relationship as they got to know one another again as adults.

This was a great second chance, slow burn romance.   

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment