Monday, September 20, 2021

Review: Code of Ethics by April White

Code of Ethics Code of Ethics by April White
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC via Smartypants Romance, all opinions are my own.

 

Can I say how much I loved Dallas!  She is strong and strong willed.  She is great at so many things, and while she is awesome, she's also flawed.  She grew up learning how to hunt, fish, and track with her grandfather, aka Grandpop.  She spent time guiding hunting expeditions in the Yukon, but when she realized that the outfitter was using her for her Indigenous status.  She left Canada to get away from the betrayal and the loss she experienced in and began a career in close protection services (aka she's a bodyguard) with Cipher.  If you've been keeping up with the series or have read the Knitting in the City books you'll know that Cipher is Quinn Sullivan's security company.  She's all business and very good at her job.  She is also a nomad, never staying in one place for too long and living out of her suitcase.  I really loved getting to know Dallas and thought her character was very well developed.  I also really enjoyed her family.

 

By pure chance, Dallas ends up helping Oliver out of a life or death situation and he ends up working with Cipher for protection and security.  Oliver is a bit of a genius when it comes to computer coding, and his current project is worth millions and some pretty unsavory folks do no want him to release it to the highest bidder.  Oliver decides to accompany Dallas to the Yukon to get away from it all while she tends to some family business, which means he has to live a bit off the grid.  Oliver is a pretty interesting character and he offsets Dallas nicely.  He has lived a completely different life than she has, but he is not without his own emotional baggage and once he gets to know her he isn't afraid to show it.  He compliments her seriousness with his playfulness.  They had great banter and good dialogue.  I'm a sucker for good banter and conversation between characters!

 

I really enjoyed the romance and the suspense.  This also has some comedic moments.  Dallas' cousin Reed is hilarious.  I really liked the dark web, security thriller aspects.  If you aren't really into thrillers, don't worry this isn't super scary or overly psychological.  Romance is still the main theme, but it does have a cool thriller aspect and some good action scenes.  Also, this is 100% a standalone.  While I recommend the other books in the series, you can read this without having read them first.  They are what I'd consider companion novels, where the characters are inter-related, but the stories are not connected.  I do love this series and highly recommend it!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment