Sunday, June 27, 2021

Review: Sorrowland by River's Solomon

Sorrowland Sorrowland by Rivers Solomon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you are looking for a genre hybrid, this is a good one to pick up as it crosses sever different genres. This has elements of horror (body horror specifically), sci-fi, LGBT+, and it covers several social justice issues as well. This has a little bit of everything. This also has a very diverse cast of characters, some are comfortable in their own skin and some are on a journey of self acceptance.

This book is not going to be for everyone. It is going to appeal to a specific audience and is going to make quite a few readers uncomfortable. I would say if you enjoyed Mexican GothicThe Rust Maidens, or The Metamorphosis you may enjoy this. The sci-fi/horror aspect is on that level of weird, but it is much darker and more violent than either of those. This has trigger warning for just about everything, Solomon doesn't pull any punches when it comes to some of the descriptions. I'd also say this is is more of an anti-hero story as Vern, our main character isn't very likeable and doesn't have very many redeeming qualities but you still are on her side. I find Solomon's writing style unique and compelling. It is almost poetic in a way.

After finishing this book I was left with that feeling of "What did I just read?", but in a good way. This book is weird, but as a fan of weird I mean that as the utmost compliment. There were parts I didn't enjoy, but I was completely engaged in Vern's transformation. I very much enjoyed the bizarre twists and turns and creativity that the author wove into this story. There are times that the storyline gets a bit confusing and muddled, but overall you can tell that the author is passionate about the issues present in the story and the characters they have created.

I was granted an ARC via Netgalley, however I did end up listening to the final production version of the audiobook. I find that listening to the audiobook of slower paced books helps me stay engaged, and this was the case here. I enjoyed the narrator and felt they did justice to the various voices present in the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment