Saturday, June 19, 2021

Review: The Nature of Witches by Rachel Griffin

The Nature of Witches The Nature of Witches by Rachel Griffin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC via Netgalley, all opinions expressed are my own.

I really loved this from the first page to the last! I really enjoyed the magic system and the witches being part of society instead of hidden amongst it. I also liked the concept of witches being a sort of climate control, and the fact that this touches on real world environmental issues that we face today. I thought that was a creative way to tell the story and create the magic system.

I thought the magic system was well explained and fairly straightforward. We have seasonal magic, where a witch has power from one of the four seasons, with the exception of Clara who is an Ever. She can access all four seasons. Clara's magic is a little more complicated and confusing than everyone else, mainly because she is the only Everwitch and the last one lived 200 years ago. Not much is known about them and what they can do. As she learns about her power, so do we.

I thought the worldbuilding was well done, which is not something you typically get a ton of in a more urban fantasy type of book. Books set in the real world versus a fictional world don't tend to spend a ton of time describing the scenery, but I thought the author did a good job with it here. Because the magic is connected to nature and most of it is done outside, I think that the descriptions of what was happening really helped paint the picture of what Clara and the other students were able to do with their magic.

This was a great YA fantasy. It has a sweet romance and a ton of self-discovery. This has great side characters. They played an integral part in Clara's character development and were great friends to her even when she tried to push them away. I don't think Clara would have ever gotten control of her magic and accepted it had it not been for Paige and Sang. She finally came to terms with the grief over the loss of her loved ones and the responsibility she has by being the only one of her kind.

If you like urban fantasy, magical schools, witches, I'd give this a read. I really loved it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment