Sunday, May 24, 2020

Review: The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm torn between a 2 and a 3 star for this one.  I really liked parts of it and other parts were either over the top or repetitive.  Parts of this were really funny, and parts were really grotesque and gruesome.   Another reviewer said this was a mashup of the Stepford Wives and True Blood and I think that is a good way of describing this book.

There is definitely an overarching theme of southern ladies being kept in their place and minding their business.   This theme was exaggerated through the whole book to the point where I think it was supposed to be comical, but it just made the main character seem really dumb.  It was like watching old horror movies where the main female character is so stupid and has zero common sense, but she goes into the room where you know Jason or Michael Meyer is waiting.  I feel like that was what the author was going for, and he achieved that.  The male characters were not exactly likeable either, they were kind of ridiculous.  

While there is a paranormal aspect to the book, I wanted more of that.  Most of the book is centered around the coming and goings of the book club ladies and their daily chores.  Anything that doesn't fit in their nice, neat daily routine is brushed off and ignored.  The paranormal aspect takes a long time to develop and when we finally get to the horror part of the book it reads more like the true crime books the ladies of the book club like to read, again I feel like this was deliberate on the authors part.  In the end I thought the writing was good, but I wanted more of the paranormal and horror element, while this had more social commentary and the stuff I wanted took a long time to develop. 

The narration of the audio was excellent.  Bahni Turpin as always is amazing!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment