Monday, May 4, 2020

Review: Ruthless Gods by Emily A. Duncan

Ruthless Gods Ruthless Gods by Emily A. Duncan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This wasn't nearly as bloody as the first book, but the imagery is still just as gruesome and disturbing.  Much like the first book, this has some confusing plotlines that are left open ended, but we get another book that will hopefully tie up the remaining lose ends.  This book does a good job telling us more about the Kalyazi Gods that were such a mystery in book 1, and I understand the magic system a little better but still not 100%.  I might have to re-read both books to really understand it fully to this point.  I did like the addition of some of the Slavic folklore, which I happen to find fascinating.

I started with a print ARC of this, but because it is on the longer side and Duncan writes with a lot of description I switched over to the audiobook.   If you listened to the audiobooks they changed the pronunciation of Malachiasz name between book 1 and book 2.  I found that completely irritating.  I want consistency between my audiobooks, and pronunciation of names, especially unique ones. 

I felt the pacing of this book was much better than the first book, but it is still on the slower side.  Unlike the first book where there is action and fighting, there is a lot of travelling and setting up for what happens at the end.  The end is where everything kind of comes together for all of the characters and all of the secrets, lies, and betrayals come to fruition.  This is mainly told from the perspectives of Serafin and Nadya, but every so often we get a chapter told from one of the side characters or even Malachiasz/The Black Vulture.  I didn't really feel the extra POVs were necessary to move the plot along, but they must be important to the remainder of the story.  Multiple POVs are never my favorite as they tend to make a story disjointed and slow the plot down.  I found this to be the case here.

I do have a criticism, Duncan uses the word eldritch far too often.  While it is the perfect descriptor, it is used too often at the end of the book many and often within the same chapter.  Spacing this unique word out would have made for a much more powerful impact.  That is true for any adjective, anytime you use it too many times in a short amount of time it loses its impact.  While this is just one example, her descriptions of things are often repetitive.  Most readers won't mind or even notice, but if I'm giving and honest review the prose could have used a bit more help in the editing department.

Much like my review of Wicked Saints, I have some negatives to point out, but I still really enjoyed this book.  I actually thought Ruthless Gods was significantly better than the first book.  I thought the flow was better and the characters were more developed as the book went on.  I see a lot of comparisons to The Grisha Trilogy in other reviews, which I haven't read so I can't make the comparison.  This does leave us with a bit of a cliffhanger, and I was excited to find out this is a trilogy.  I originally was under the impression this was a duology so I am happy to find out that there is more to this series.  I want to know more about this group and how things end up for all of them as there are still so many unanswered questions.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment