Monday, October 21, 2019

Spookathon Wrap UP


I did pretty well on my first Spookathon.  I didn't actually think I'd get through all my books, but I was able to get through all of the prompts.

I had a ton of books to read and review this month, so of course I decided to do a readathon right in the middle of it.  One of them was an ARC coming out at the end of the month, and the rest of them were things I already had on my TBR so I call that a win.  I actually enjoyed all of the books so this week was a success.

  • Read a thriller
    • Verity by Colleen Hoover
    • I bought this shortly after it came out in 2018, and I've been meaning to get to it ever since.  Spookathon was the perfect time to read this dark thriller.  This book is really messed up.  It is really creepy for a domestic thriller because you aren't really sure what is actually happening.  I found parts of it fairly predictable while other parts were very creative.  
  • Read a book with a spooky word in the title
    • Spell on Wheels by Kate Leth, Megan Levens, Marissa Louise, Jen Bartel, and Nate Piekos
    • This was really fun.  It has been on my TBR forever.  It follows three friends, who happen to be witches with different powers.  When their apartment is robbed and their magical items are sold on a kind of dark ebay, they go on a road trip to track down their stuff from the people who bought them.  I'm looking forward to the next installment.
  • Read a book with a spooky setting
    • Shadows by Kristen Proby
    • I was really excited to get an ARC of this.  This is a paranormal romance.  The thriller parts are really dark and creepy.  The romance parts are very insta-lovey and very much follow the "we are fated to be together" trope.  This is definitely set in the spooky parts of New Orleans as the main character is a medium that gives ghost tours in the most haunted parts of the city.  She also sees the shadows of those who have passed on, and when the creepiest of serial killers seems to be targeting her it gets even spookier.  
  • Read a book with red on the cover
    • There Will Come a Darkness by Katy Rose Pool
    • This a slow paced fantasy.  It has several points of view and revolves around a prophecy and those who are trying to make sure the prophecy comes true to save the world, and those who are trying to thwart the prophecy to eliminate those who are graced with various powers.  Each character has a pivotal role to play in the destruction or salvation of the world as they know it.  They each struggle with fulfilling their destiny or following their own desires.
  • Read something you wouldn't normally read
    • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures by Aaron Manhke
    • This is an audiobook I got for free on Volumes, which is Penguin Random House Audio’s app. The author tells us the history of monsters such as vampires from pop culture and where and how the stories came about.  While I read a ton of fiction, I don't always read the history behind the legends and folklore and I definitely don't read a ton of non-fiction.  I love mythology so you'd think I would.  This was awesome!  I'll be checking into his other books of Lore, he has 2 others.  I also want to check out his podcast which I understand inspired the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment