Saturday, February 2, 2019

Review: Wildcard by Marie Lu

Wildcard Wildcard by Marie Lu
Narrated by 
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I unfortunately was pretty underwhelmed with Wildcard. I enjoyed Warcross quite a bit, but much like with Warcross I wanted more of the game. I also found myself not caring about the characters or what happened to them in this highly anticipated sequel. I wanted more technology driven plot, but what I got was more character driven stuff that at times didn't really feel like it had any direction. I did eventually get invested in Zero and his storyline, but it felt disconnected from everything else going on. Zero's journey was well written and well told, it just felt like a completely separate book within a book. His character far overshadowed everything and everyone else in the book.

Emika and Hideo are essentially sidelined in this installment. They don't really develop as characters in this book, and they don't even really participate in the plot moving along. Their romance is present but there is no chemistry between them, I found them kind of cold and robotic even though they supposedly make each other weak in the knees essentially. The Phoenix Riders are mentioned here and there in the book, but they are basically absent. They were so much fun in Warcross, and as I mentioned I wanted more of the game. I didn't get much of the Riders or the game in this book.

I think this book suffers from a case of mismatched expectations. I was expecting something different than what Marie Lu wanted to tell me. What I wanted and what she wrote are so different that I just couldn't get into it. The writing isn't bad, Marie Lu is a great writer, this one just wasn't for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment