Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Review: Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou

Letter to My Daughter Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Everyone should read this book. I read this as part of a reading challenge for a prompt to read a book by a person I admire and I can't think of a writer that I admire more than Maya Angelou.  I've read many of her biographies, poetry, and other written works, and wrote a paper on her in high school.  She's stuck with me over the years.  I'm not a huge poetry fan, but I'll read anything Dr. Angelou has written, she just had a way with words.  The cadence of her word was like a song.  The way she wrote about her life was like she was telling a story that you can't get enough of.  She spoke the same way, she was beautiful to watch and her voice just drew you in.  I can imagine that as a young woman she was a very entertaining performer.

She's done and seen it all. This book isn't very long and I couldn't put it down, but as always her words are extremely powerful and moving. Dr. Angelou never had her own daughter, however she mentored many women throughout her lifetime, and this is written for anyone who will take the time to read it.  In my opinion everyone should read this, as everyone can take something away from what she has to offer.   If you haven't read any of her biographies, this gives you a brief glimpse into her life in a compacted version, with some of her wisdom and lessons learned.  It details the places she's lived, jobs she held, travels, trials and tribulations, her faith, her growth, and her words.  Her words were her greatest legacy and if you've never heard her speak or read anything she's written I highly recommend this or really anything she's written. She was a wonderful writer, poet and speaker.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment