Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Review: The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit by Seth Godin

The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit by Seth Godin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book, plus it is a very quick read. I recommend it. I don't agree with all of Godin's advice, however I was able to take away some pearls of wisdom that I can use in my personal and professional life. There were some takeaways that I can give to my kids as far as advice on sticking something because the benefit is greater than the struggle to get to the finish.

I really liked the way Godin described "best in the world" at the very beginning. Being the best at something is different to everyone. It can be personal best, best at a job or sport, and the bar changes depending on what you are doing or what day it is or where you live. The determination of best is very subjective and you need to keep that in mind when you are determining what your goals are and what you want out of life. Godin gives some great advice in this very short little book, many people quit because of The Dip, the dip is the struggle to get to the finish. Getting good at something is hard, mentally, physically, emotionally, depending on what you are trying to achieve. Godin recommends ways to determine if you are taking the right path to achive something that is worth getting out of the Dip for. Will it make you more successful, make you more fulfilled, more skilled at something, if not maybe you should quit that effort and try something else. He recommends quitting things that don't achieve a desired outcome so you can focus your efforts on things that will achieve your desired outcome or get you out of The Dip. He makes it OK to evaluate situations and quit activities that provide no value or gain and refocus on one or two things that will. Stick to the things that will make you the best at whatever you want to be the best at, and quit the things that aren't helping you. I kind of liked that message. He also advocates not starting things if they aren't going to make you the best, I can appreciate that.

I have been toying with getting an MBA, but I don't think it will provide me any professional benefit at this time in my career.  I don't see myself as an executive at the company I work for, so why take on the debt and spend the time away from my family working on it if there is no value?  I should go back to school for something that will either make me happy and fulfilled or teach me something to make me better at what I do now or help me get a better job.  If I'm happy where I'm at I don't really need a master's degree.  Godin's advice I think would be don't start at all if it wouldn't get me anywhere.  I think I'd rather spend that time reading or perfecting my baking skills instead.  

This covers my reading challenge prompt for a book with career advice, and I recommend it.  It is short and for me had some good takeaways.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment