Saturday, April 22, 2017

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Nevermore Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this. It was dark, creepy, and different from the regular YA paranormal romance I read.  This is a genre I read frequently. This was highly recommended by author Penelope Douglass as a must read, and I totally agree.  This fulfills my advanced challenge prompt A book recommended by an author you love.  I love Pen's books, and I recommend her's as well.

I tore through this as fast as I could. The story follows Isobel and Varen, an unlikely pair working on an English project. Isobel is the popular cheerleader, Varen is the stoic Goth kid. Isobel drove me crazy, she was so worried about what her friends and her boyfriend would think about her working with Varen on her homework, but she redeemed herself when she stood up for the right things. Varen is a tortured soul, who loves Edgar Allen Poe, who he's chosen for their project. He's sweet, funny, and kind of doesn't care about what other people think and he doesn't the most surprising things. Varen introduces Isobel to the works and world of Poe for the project, which leads her down a rabbit hole she never wanted to go down. She finds herself dreaming about strange things and seeing strange things in reality. A man named Reynolds appears to her and tells her that reality is in danger, and she's the only one who can stop what Varen has started.  The fate of the real world is in her hands.  Fueled by her blooming feelings for Varen, Isobel launches herself into the dark dreamworld Varen has created in order to save him from himself. Can Isobel's love save them both?  Does Varen really want to be saved or does he want to escape his kind of crappy real life and live in the fantasy world he's created where he is the master and he's adored.

I can't wait to finish the series.  I loved the Poe references.  I've not read much Poe, but I want to now.  His works seem dark and creepy, but interesting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment