Sunday, July 26, 2026

Review: The Women in White by Sarah Pekkanen

The Women in White The Women in White by Sarah Pekkanen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC and ALC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This bounces between present day and the 60's when 4 women took place in a groundbreaking experiment for the time.  In the present the only surviving woman from the experiment hires a caretaker in the wake of her husband's passing, but her home and life experience is still stuck in 1964.  She doesn't talk to her neighbors or know about cell phones or the internet.  When Riley comes to work for Betty she isn't sure what to think of this lovely woman who seems quite capable of taking care of herself but doesn't know any current events, but makes a mean martini.

As Riley gets to know Betty, she learns about her time at Marquis University where she and 3 friends were part of an experiment to measure physic abilities.  As the women showed more promise, Dr. Trimble the head of the experiment kept pushing their abilities, which not only stressed the women physically and mentally but their relationships with their husbands.  Not much is known about the experiments, but Riley is determined to find something or someone for Betty to connect with.  As she pushes forward with her research, she finds that someone may be trying to recreate some of Dr. Trible's more horrible experiments which may have caused dire consequences for 3 of Betty's best friends.

I thought this was very interesting.   I know studies on abilities like Betty's have been done, perhaps not exactly like those done in the book.  There is no denying that sometimes you get a feeling or some people have better intuition about things.  I thought the concept was intriguing and the characters were easy to connect with, I also love a good conspiracy.  This was a bit different than the other books I've read from the author as it wasn't a straight up domestic thriller and I liked that deviation.  You weren't sure who was a good guy and who was a bad guy until the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment