Friday, October 11, 2024

Review: The Butcher Game by Alaina Urquart

The Butcher Game The Butcher Game by Alaina Urquhart
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an audio ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This picks up after the first book ends, with Wren dealing with the traumatic events she experienced.  She is taking a break from her duties as a medical examiner, which was a huge part of the first book.  I  enjoyed the first book with the exception of the abrupt cliffhanger ending.  It was suspenseful and I was I was invested in the plot.  I often found myself feeling bored and able to predict what was going to happen.  Jeremy and Wren's stories felt disconnected in this installment whereas in the first book they were more connected.  I still don't feel like I was able to get to know any of the characters and get invested in any of them.  I was looking for more character development.

I found the ending to be lackluster, and again it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger.  I was left feeling as if the solution was anti-climactic and far to easy and convenient.  The ending left me feeling as if there was another book coming with a new villain for Wren to focus on.  I'm not sure if there is another book planned, but given there were 2 years between this book and the prior book, I don't think I'll be rushing to pick it up.  I really wanted to like this series, but it just didn't work for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment