Thursday, February 1, 2024

Review: The Ultimate Glow Up Guide: A Guide to Self Growth, Self Care, and Becoming the Best Version of You

The Ultimate Glow Up Guide: A Guide to Self Growth, Self Care, and Becoming the Best Version of You The Ultimate Glow Up Guide: A Guide to Self Growth, Self Care, and Becoming the Best Version of You by Elicia Goguen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an ALC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This initially appealed to me because as a middle aged mom of two, self-care is something that always falls to the wayside.    I'm not typically one who turns to self-help books but this was a short audiobook and sounded promising.  Who doesn't want an empowering book about how to stick to the plan and become the best version of yourself?  I've really struggled to get back in the routines I had pre-pandemic and I can contribute all of those things to stress as the author points out.  Unfortunately the focus of this book is mainly how to deal with negative self image, unhealthy relationships with food, and delving into potential trauma in your early life that may have caused those things to develop.  

This has some nice tips about facing the the reasons you may want a glow up or issues you may have with your own body image.  She makes some good points about stress and developing self soothing activities and how to develop good behaviors and identify potential unhealthy behaviors.  She gives journaling activities to help with your journey.  I'm not a journal person, so I'm not sure how helpful those are.  She points out that you should seek a glow up for the right reasons not because you are trying to please someone else or conform to unattainable social media standards, and on that we agree.  I'm looking to restart my exercise routine and eat better to be healthier so I can walk my dog when spring comes and keep up with my kids at amusement parks on vacations.

Overall, I think this book may helpful to younger readers.  I think for me, this isn't what I was looking for to empower me to restart my self-care journey.  My reasons aren't the same as the author's nor are my experiences.  I don't have a negative self image or an unhealthy relationship with food.   The author does make some good points and I do have some takeaways, however I think I am not the target audience for this particular book. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment