Thursday, February 22, 2024

Review: Listen for the Lie by Amy Tintera

Listen for the Lie Listen for the Lie by Amy Tintera
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was provided both the print and audio ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

I absolutely loved this. It is told in mixed media format in alternating chapters told from Lucy's point of view and through a podcast episode from Ben's eyes as the story unfolds. I think the audiobook was really well done and is a great way to enjoy books delivered in this format. The narrators are excellent. January Lavoy is amazing in this with all the various characters she does and Will Damron does a great job with his role as Ben. Similar books/audio performances in this format are SadieThe Night Swim, and Dark Corners with the story unfolding in real time as well as via a podcast. If you liked those I think you really enjoy this, and I recommend them if you end up liking this book.

Lucy doesn't remember what happened on the night her best friend was murdered. Naturally everyone in her small town thinks she did it when there weren't any other suspects. Tired of the gossip and accusations, Lucy moved away to start over. When Ben Owens begins investigating Savvy's murder for his popular podcast, word gets out about Lucy's involvement and her life is once again turned upside down. She returns home to celebrate her hilarious grandmother's birthday and ends up meeting with the handsome podcaster. Ben convinces her to reconnect with old friends and places in an attempt to figure out what really happened that night and set the record straight despite years of avoiding those exact things. As Ben's podcast gains momentum, Lucy begins to understand that there is so much more that happened that night that what she's forgotten.

Tintera does an amazing job crafting this story. I was hooked from the beginning. Lucy is a bit of a sarcastic, no-nonsense character. She has developed a think skin and makes jokes to deal with the constant accusations and harassment. The story unfolds, her demeanor makes sense. While I enjoyed Lucy's chapters as she revisits her old stomping ground and works with Ben to figure out what happened, I was always so anxious for the podcast chapters to find out what Ben had uncovered about the case. Those chapters drove where the storyline was going to go next and kept things exciting and kept the pace moving. This had great pacing by the way. I had a hard time putting this down once I started. I could have done without the romance subplot. I don't think it really added anything to the book, but it didn't detract either.

If you are looking for a fast paced thriller, look no further. This is out March 5, 2024 and is going to be a huge hit!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment