Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Review: Looking Glass Sound by Catriona Ward

Looking Glass Sound Looking Glass Sound by Catriona Ward
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an audio arc of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

I'm not really sure what I just read.  This book was one of those very confusing story within a story and you aren't really sure what is actually happening and what is happening to the characters and what is happening in the internal story.  This is told a bit out of order, which is not my preferred style of storytelling and it adds to the confusion of what is happening.  This seems to be a common trait with Wards books, Little Eve was also told with an out of order timeline.  This book also haphazardly switches points of view.  I'm all for misleading the reader in a thriller, but the random switching of narrator and the disjointed writing style didn't work for me.  I don't feel like all of elements came together in the end.

I found this to be very slow paced.  I prefer my thrillers to be more faced paced and action packed.  I never really got a suspenseful feeling from this, perhaps because I had no idea what was going on the entire time I was reading this.  There were a couple of interesting plot twists, but at no time did I ever feel that any of the characters were in any real danger from anything sinister.  There are some gruesome descriptions in the book in relation to some of the plot points.

This book isn't going to be for everyone, but I think some readers are going to absolutely love it.  If you are looking for a uniquely told coming of age thriller/horror novel I'd give this a try. If you liked Sundial or Little Eve I think you will enjoy this.  They both have elements that are similar in both the way the story is told and the atmosphere.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment