Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Review: Hex You

Hex You Hex You by P.C. Cast
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This is the final installment of the Sisters of Salem series.  I highly recommend you read this series in order as you will be very lost if you do not.  This book picks up where book 2 left off with the sisters relationship still a bit in shambles but at the point where they are willing to accept their mistakes and make amends for the greater good.  The gates that the sisters are responsible for are weakening by the minute, and Amphitrite is still up to no good.  The sisters with the help of their friends have to heal their bond if they are going to heal the gates and the town.

The timeline isn't completely linear in this book which took a bit of getting used to.  You will be in the present with Mercy in one chapter, then you will be in what is Hunter's present in the next chapter but it actually took place before the chapter you just read with Mercy.  It jumps around a bit, and that can be a bit confusing at times.  I felt the dialogue was a bit immature even for teenagers.  I can get on board with Xena's speech being a bit strange because she isn't exactly human, but the rest of the dialogue (and there's alot of it) seemed really childish given the age of the characters.  No teenagers I know talk the way the teens in the book talk and the conflict resolution was too convenient and rushed to make it feel authentic.  The trilogy has been leading up to the healing of the trees, which the twins are guardians of, but the climax felt under developed and rushed.  

Overall, this is a fun YA series.  This particular installment is my least favorite of the trilogy.  I think younger readers will enjoy this series.  There is a little bit of everything from romance, to action and mythology, to magic.  My main issues lie in the execution of this book when it comes to world building and plot.  If you want some thing light and fun, you may not be bothered by those things.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment