Sunday, February 20, 2022

Review: Beneath the Stairs by Jennifer Fawcett

Beneath the Stairs Beneath the Stairs by Jennifer Fawcett
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an ARC of this book via Edelweiss, all opinions are my own.  I can see I'm in the minority here, but I didn't love this.  It is lacking in the suspense and horror elements I expected to find in a book that features such a unique and creepy house in the woods.  I love a good haunted house story and the premise of this was really promising.  The Octagon House is situated in the woods, it is the scene of a murder, and for some the house call out to them.  The basement is the setting for the creepier parts, but I feel those scenes lacked the detail that would have taken this book to the next level.  I never felt any suspense for the characters.  The house and the basement should have made me feel something, and they didn't.  There is a bit of a supernatural element to the story, but I didn't find it scary.  
 
There were many scenes about loss and grief.  If discussions about loss of a loved one and miscarriage are upsetting to you, I'd skip this book as they are a main focus for the main character.  I felt like this story was more about Clare and her personal losses and grief than it was about the horror and suspense.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment