Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Review: When Night Breaks by Janella Angeles

When Night Breaks When Night Breaks by Janella Angeles
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an ARC via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.,

I enjoyed this, however I'm left feeling like I missed something. As the ending approached, I feel like I missed a chapter or two. Things kind of jumped from one place or time to another without an explanation, maybe that is because I read an ARC and that was resolved in the final copy. I felt these jumps were confusing and either needed a few lines of explanation to how the characters got from where they were in the last chapter to where they are now or there needed to be another chapter to explain things. This was especially true at the end. Hopefully this was resolved in the final version, as I see some of the other ARC reviewers mention that they were also confused.

Much like with the first book, I felt like this was far too long and meandering. Certain scenes are repetitive and don't really add to the plot. I also am left with just as many unanswered questions as I was in the first book. There are things mentioned that are left without an explanation and characters that seem important that aren't really given an ending. As I mentioned in my review of the first book, I'm not a fan of books that leave me with more questions than answers when I'm done and this duology did just that.

This picks up where book 1 left off, Kallia has fallen through the mirror devoid of her magic. It introduces an almost entirely new set of characters. If you were a fan of the characters of the first book, some of them are present in the beginning but the focus of the book is on the world behind the mirror where Kallia landed. Daron is desperate to find her despite the consequences and destruction that might bring. Both Kallia and Daron find that they are pawns in a dangerous magical game, and they both must decide if they want to play or fight against the man who holds all the cards.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment