Thursday, July 8, 2021

Review: A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark

A Master of Djinn A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was fantastic! I was provided an ARC via Netgalley but did end up listening to the final production edition of the audiobook. I'm so glad that I listened to the audiobook, the narrator was wonderful! She did a fantastic job distinguishing between all of the characters!

Clark has quickly become a must buy author for me! I also highly recommend reading A Dead Djinn in Cairo and The Haunting of Tram Car 015, but they are standalones set in the same world as this book and just add to it, but aren't required reading. I hope we get more books in this series or universe as it is so interesting and I love Fatma's character. Clark leaves the end open for more especially with that note from Ahmad, so I hope there are more books to home or atleast more novellas/short stories. If not I thought this ended with a great conclusion and stood on it's own really well.

I absolutely love this steampunk, fantasy world set in an alternate 1912 Egypt. The author does a wonderful job combining history, fantasy, myth, social commentary, and magic into this world. He also writes wonderful characters. Our main character, Fatma is employed as a special agent for the Ministry of Alchemy, Enhancements, and Supernatural Entities. She is one of the best at what she does, but she stands out as not only one of the only women in her profession but by the sharp English suits she wears. When she is called into investigate a mysterious murder alongside the police, she is pulled into a dangerous case with an unpredictable culprit. Fatma also has to deal with the addition of a partner to her investigation. Hadia was a great addition, and while she was a rookie investigator, she brought alot to the team and wasn't afraid to call out Fatma when needed. The characters in the book are flawed but they each show grow.

This mystery is full of adventure and actions. It will keep you on your toes and guessing what is going to happen until the very last minute. If you are looking for something a little different in the mystery genre but you are fan of fantasy I highly recommend picking this up!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment