Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Best Books You've Read So Far in 2018




I used to hand out 5 stars just because I really liked a book.  Since I started blogging and reviewing books I don't rate things 5 stars as frequently and I'm much more critical of books.  I give out lots of 3 and 4 star ratings, and I really enjoy those books.  In no particular order these are the best books I've read in 2018, and they really were fantastic and I highly recommend them.

I've linked reviews to all of the books I've mentioned below so you can see what I thought about them.
  • Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
    • If you like Trevor Noah's brand of humor and you'd like a lesson in humility you should check this out.  Everyone should read this and I've heard the audio is wonderful as well.  Noah gives a lesson about how you survive in South Africa during a time when it was illegal for you to be born.  He didn't have a great childhood but he made the most of it.  The book is laced with humor, yet makes you think about what is really important.
  • Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
    • I thought this was wonderful.  I loved the mythology, the romance, and the characters.  I can't wait for book 2.  
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
    • This was such and education about how medicine has advanced through the years.  This was heartbreaking and really makes you feel for the Lacks family.  You want them to receive some sort of reparation for the advances made from Henrietta's cells, but unfortunately that just isn't how it works.
  • As You Wish by Cary Elwes
    • If you love the movie The Princess Bride like I do, you should give this book a go.  I listened to the audio and it is full of the cast speaking about their experience filming.  This is so funny and heartwarming. 
  • Sadie by Courtney Summers
    • I just finished this and it was awesome!  It is told in mixed media and I loved it.  I couldn't put it down.  If you like YA thrillers go get this as soon as it comes out in September.  There are podcasts live that go with the book and episode 1 was excellent go check it out.



Go check out the Top 5 Wednesday group on Goodreads and see what other people recommended and to check out other topics.  


No comments:

Post a Comment