Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Review: Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Wicked Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It has been a while since I read Wicked, so I grabbed a copy of the audio as a refresher. The narrator was great and I still loved it.  Book 3 (Brave) just came out yesterday and I'm so ready for it.  I haven't read Torn yet, but I plan to marathon Torn and Brave this week.  I forgot how much I liked Wicked.

The banter between Ivy and Ren was awesome. I love the snark, which is what Jennifer Armentrout does best. I love that Ivy isn't a damsel in distress, she's a self proclaimed ninja when needed and can handle herself, but she knows she has issues. She owns her insecurities and knows she is flawed. She has a hard time letting people get close to her and for good reason. She is a member of the secretive Order. By day she is a college student, and by night she hunts and dispatches the fae who roam New Orleans and prey on humans. Most of the people Ivy has gotten close to in her short 21 years ave been killed by the fae, so she naturally has issues with relationships. She has a few friends, one who knows who and what she is but their relationship is still superficial and one friend who she knows from school and knows nothing about the fae. Enter Ren, another member of The Order, he's new to the area and he an Ivy end up partnered together to hunt the fae. The romance between Ivy and Ren is pretty much instant and Ivy even calls out the insta-lust within the book, but its worth it. Ren is aggressive, blunt, but he's also respectful of Ivy and gives her space when she needs it. Then there is Tink, Tink is a Brownie who lives with Ivy. Ivy rescued Tink after he came through the gate from the fae world. She should have killed him but instinct and compassion stopped her. I'm glad it did because Tink is hilarious with his references to pop culture like Harry Potter and Twilight.

I really liked the plot where the fae are the bad guys. The fae are presented almost like vampires feeding on humans and the Order has to hunt them to protect mankind. I loved the setting of New Orleans and the description of the city and places. If you like JLA's New Adult books, and you like paranormal romances this series is for you. I'm glad that book 2 and 3 are both out now so I can finish the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment