Sunday, December 3, 2017

Review: Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Marina Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was such a surprise. I didn't know much about it when I bought it, but I ended up loving it. I may end up giving it 5 stars. I ended up listening to the audiobook, which was fantastic. The narrator did an excellent job. I didn't know this was a horror book, so I was appropriately horrified and terrified as the creepy story unfolded. Then there we parts that were just heartbreaking and the writing is just amazing.  I absolutely loved it.  I highly recommend it if you like horror and tales that involve weird stuff.

The story follows 15 year old Oscar, a boarding school student in Barcelona. Oscar comes to befriend Marina and her father German, who live close to Oscar's school. German is an artist, and Marina is a mysterious girl who Oscar immediately becomes smitten with. Marina and Oscar find themselves quickly drawn into a strange investigation involving a madman who tried to cheat death, a strange woman who haunts the local graveyard, and many other weird things. As the pair learn more about the strange things they've found, they find themselves pulled deeper and deeper into a much darker story that they never could have imagined. There are twists and turns that I never could have imagined, and all the while, Oscar finds a family in Marina and German that he never knew he was looking for.  I've never been to Spain, but I felt like I had been transported to Barcelona with the descriptions.  This was set in 1980, but the timeline felt older even if it was more modern.

I don't want to say much else about the book because it would spoil the thriller part of the book.  I did end up bumping my review up from 4 to 5 stars as I was writing my review.  I just really enjoyed this so much.  Thanks to Bree Hill for recommending it on her channel.  I would have never discovered Marina if she hadn't mentioned it in one of her videos.  I'm so glad I picked it up on one of my many trips to Bradley's Book Outlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment