Monday, September 4, 2017

Review: The Shack by William P. Young

The Shack The Shack by William Paul Young
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I didn't know a lot going into this book, but I needed a best-seller for a genre I don't normally read for my reading challenge. I typically don't read religion based books. This one kept coming up for a couple different prompts, and I saw it at a used book sale so I grabbed it.  I figured I was only out $1, and I could use it for several of the challenge prompts.  It isn't very long either, and it was a pretty easy read.  I can see myself reaching for this in dark times.

This got a ton of mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it. It had a lot of great take-aways and points of inspiration. I can see why people struggling with something or who need help dealing with crisis or tragedy find comfort in this book. There were some great points about love, friendship, forgiveness, and relationships.  I really liked the non-traditional portrayal of the holy trinity and the acceptance of all religions.  I kind of liked the parts where God in the book basically told Mack that everyone was welcome and loved no matter what religion you practice or who you are and past transgressions.  The God in The Shack was very loving and forgiving.  I can also see why people don't like the book, it paints a fairly non-traditional picture of God and religion. So if you are fairly formal in your practice and study of your religion of choice you may find this book blasphemous. I didn't expect this book was going to change my beliefs, nor did I think it was telling anyone how or what to believe. My favorite part of the book It is fiction after all, so take it with a grain of salt. I think it had some thought provoking ideas, but I would definitely rely on my religious officials for any real guidance.

The Shack is a man's fantastic tale that takes place over the course of a weekend. Mackenzie Allen Philips, or Mack for short, has suffered a great tragedy and his entire family feels the loss of his youngest daughter. Never getting closure on the event, Mack is still suffering depression when he receives a note from God to meet in the shack where they found the piece of evidence indicating that his daughter was murdered. Mack heads to the shack and embarks on a journey of faith and forgiveness. Mack wrestles with so many questions presented to him over such a short time that most people wrestle with at some point in their lives.  To say more would spoil the plot.

I think people who are struggling and are maybe needing a little light in their lives might find The Shack a useful read.  I think if you already have a strong traditional religious presence in your life, this might not be for you.  If you want to know more about the book or The Missy Project check out http://www.theshackbook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment