Saturday, January 27, 2024

Review: Written in the Scars by Adriana Locke

Written in the Scars Written in the Scars by Adriana Locke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was given an audio code for this book via the author and Valentine PR, however I had previously purchased copy of the ebook prior to listening to the audio version. As always all opinions expressed in my review are my own.

I've owned a copy of this for a while, but I'd been putting off reading this because I knew this was one of Addy's more emotional standalones. I have finally been in the right headspace to pick this up and the audiobook was a great way to enjoy this. Both of the narrators brought Tyler and Elin's emotion to the page in just the right way.

This follows Elin and Tyler in the wake of a heartbreaking split. They have loved each other since about 8th grade, but after a life altering accident at work leaves Tyler lost and feeling useless he begins to spiral. He feels like a burden and decides to take matters into his own hands and take a break. This of course shatters Elin's faith and trust in Tyler and their marriage. Elin is also suffering from some personal struggles, but because she no longer can trust him she keeps this information from Tyler when he comes back and tries to make amends and put the pieces of their relationship back together. They never stopped loving each other and they have to decide if their love is enough to rebuild and start over.

I liked that Elin and Tyler were already married and dealt with real marriage problems. While Elin's stubborn streak and desire to keep secrets from Ty as punishment went on a bit too long in my opinion, they eventually had the hard, grown up conversations that needed to be had. The author did a good job capturing how hard marriage can be at times and the panic you feel when your partner is in a harrowing situation. As they pick up the pieces things start to heat up between them so if you are looking for spice this doesn't disappoint.

Part of this are extremely emotional so have your tissues nearby. There are some painful discussions and situations that the characters go through. I put content warnings that may or not be spoilers at the end of my review.

Content warnings [infertility, miscarriage, death of a friend, discussion of drug use (hide spoiler)]

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment