Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Review: All Hallows by Christopher Golden

All Hallows All Hallows by Christopher Golden
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own. In an effort to clear this off of my shelf, I did opt to listen to the final production version of the audiobook. I did enjoy the narration, both narrators did a great job with the multiple POVs as this was told from multiple characters and I thought they both did a good job differentiating between the various characters.

This is set on Halloween, so it is the perfect read for spooky season. The author did a good job giving this the feel of the 80's, which is when the book is set. The book bounces back and forth between several characters on the night of Halloween as the kids trick-or-treat, attend the annual Halloween party at a local neighbor's home, and walk through the haunted woods attraction. As the kids and adults prepare and attend the night's festivities, something much more sinister has come out to play.

Overall, this was just OK for me. For a Halloween horror book nothing much happens for much of the book. All of the action happens in the last 20-30% of the book. There are some creepy kids that no one knows walking around and the neighborhood seems to be going nuts airing all of its dirty laundry all in one night, but overall this was missing the suspense I was looking for. I feel like the concept of The Cunning Man was really unique, however I didn't find him creepy or terrifying. I actually don't understand his purpose at all. He and the creepy children aren't really well explained, and I felt their execution was lacking. The book focused too much on the family and teenage drama and not enough on the horror and suspense that I was looking for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment