Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Review: The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher

The Hollow Places The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not even sure how to review this book.  This was kind of a mix of comedy, portal fantasy, and horror all rolled up into one.  This is pretty dark and has some gory moments, so if you are squeamish you may want to skip this one.  I did appreciate the author's twisted sense of humor throughout the book and found myself laughing out loud several times while listening to this.

From the horror perspective, at no point was I ever terrified.  There were some creepy moments and some really weird ones, but I wouldn't say this is scary.  Take that with a grain of salt, I don't think most horror books are scary.  You may find Kara and Simon's trip into "The Willows" nightmare inducing.

This follows Kara, a graphic designer who has returned home to help her uncle run his very odd museum.  The museum itself is strange, but Kara finds a hole in the wall one day after the museum has closed.  She enlists her friend Simon, the local barista, to help her patch the wall but they find the bunker instead.  The two of them decide to explore the mysterious bunker, whose door opens up to an even weirder place.  They were not prepared for what they encountered in the world outside.  I don't want to say much more about the plot because anything more would spoil it and you kind of have to just experience as it comes.

This reminded me alot of Bird Box, where you aren't really sure what the "monsters" are but you know there is something sinister out there.  It was fast paced and you weren't sure what was going to happen next.  Overall I thought this was entertaining and I enjoyed the audio narration.

I did receive and ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.  I did however listen to the final published version of the audiobook.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment