Saturday, November 18, 2017

Review: The Midnight Star by Marie Lu

The Midnight Star The Midnight Star by Marie Lu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the ending to this trilogy. It picks up about a year after Adelina forms the Rose Society and takes over as queen. She is still fighting with the Daggers and spiraling down into the depths of her own darkness. She is cruel and brutal, making those who wronged malfettos and elites in the past pay for their crimes with torture and death. She rules with fear, only allowing Magiano and Sergio to provide her with council, and she rarely takes their advice. As Adelina ruthlessly takes over more land, she continues to succumb to the madness of the whispers and illusions in her head. Magiano keeps her grounded. They continue to flirt, and you are never quite sure where her heart lies with Magiano or with Enzo. I like that the romance is not overwhelming in the book and it isn't necessary to move the plot along.

As Adelina is conquering the world, Raffaele is trying to figure out why the Elite's are getting sick from using their powers. Eventually Raffaele figures out how to solve the riddle, and asks that the Elites form a truce for the good of all mankind, or everyone Elite and non-Elite will eventually perish. The crew embarks on a quest to heal the tear between the mortal world and the world of the gods. Their journey is not easy. Some characters finally find peace and purpose, while others find much struggle and heartbreak.

I absolutely loved the ending! I'm very impressed that Marie Lu took the story where she did and made the decisions she did. I loved the mythology she added to the book and the journey the characters took through the underworld to save humanity. The interaction with the gods and goddesses, alteast for me, was extremely interesting. I love mythology, and I need to do some research on what she based her's on or if she created it all on her own. Either way I loved what she did throughout the series with it.

I do wish we would have gotten closure on some of the plot lines and a little more interaction with some of the characters. Maeve and Lucent for instance. They are both awesome characters, but were practically absent in book 3. The same goes for Raffaele and Enzo, I would have liked to see their stories wrapped up a little more cleanly. Overall though, I really feel this book was beautiful, I loved the writing throughout the trilogy, and the narrators were excellent on the audio version.

No comments:

Post a Comment