Sunday, October 15, 2017

Review: The Rose Society by Marie Lu

The Rose Society The Rose Society by Marie Lu
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This wasn't as good as the last one, by no means is it bad.  I just felt like the first one grabbed me and didn't let go. I felt like not alot happened for most of the book.  We do get to know more about all of the other characters, so we get alot of development in that area.  We learn more about where the Daggers are headed and what they are planning as well as what direction Adelina is headed.  Adelina becomes almost an anti-hero in this book, and she starts to let the darkness of her powers take over.  Much of what Raffeale feared would happen begins to come true as Adelina begins to follow a very dark path, and I feel like she won't let anyone stand in the way.  Along the way, Adelina and Violetta makes some new friends and forms her own Elite group called the The Rose Society.  I really enjoyed Magiano and Sergio, two of the Roses.  They start out in it for the gold, but I really think they are bought into what Adelina is really trying to do, well atleast at first not so much in the end.  Teren is still up to no good trying to rid the world of abominations, yet the Queen isn't totally bought into his plans.  I was surprised by some of the twists and turns this book took.  I appreciate the originality of the story, and I like where it is headed.  I just personally felt like the sequal was not as gripping as the first book.  I am anxious to finish the series and I can't wait to find out what happens especially given some of the information about the Elites that we find out at the end of the book.  There are alot of broken relationships that need mending or completely obliterated.  There was a lot of lead up to the ending, and alot happened in the last 20-30% of the book.  The end wrapped up fairly nicely, and Lu's writing is really great in this series. 

I think I wanted more action and more of the Daggers and Maeve. This was more about strategizing and political positioning amongst the groups and it was just slow for me.  I think now that we know all the players, I hope we can get on with whatever both sides have planned. 

The narrators were the same from book 1 to book 2, but I feel like they got better.  I liked the narration more in the 2nd book.  Maybe I was just used to the way the characters and chapters switched back and forth, which was something I didn't like in the 1st book.  I enjoyed the narration of The Rose Society, and I hope the same narrators are back in book 3.  I have a couple of other audio books in my queue before I get to Midnight Star, but I'll be listening to it soon for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment